Upholstery Weekend Course
Work on your own project, at your own pace with expert tuition
Weekend upholstery course
This two-day weekend course is ideal for reupholstering a dining chair or stool with a drop-in or stuff over seat, overseen by your tutor Lucy Brodie-Williams, who holds a qualification with the Association of Master Upholsterers and Soft Furnishers, having been trained in the use of modern and traditional materials and methods.
If you are stuck for a project our local Antique and Vintage furniture store, Bringsty Vintage, has lots of old chairs for sale.
£200 including home-made lunch, biscuits & cakes.
Cost does not include materials used. All materials except the main fabric are kept in stock and a charge is made at the end of the course for the materials each student uses. You are however, welcome to bring all your own materials with you if you wish.
Gift vouchers are available; please email firstname.lastname@example.org
We offer a reduced rate of £60.00/night for upholstery students with an extra £20.00/night if your partner wishes to join you.
10.00 – 17.00 with an hour for lunch; tea, coffee, juice with home-made biscuits and cake throughout the day!
This is a two-day course where we will look at both traditional and modern upholstery techniques and their uses. Bring with you a small project, e.g. drop in seat, small recovering projects, ottoman style box, headboard for bed; I suggest you ring when you book to check the suitability of your chosen project. You will need sufficient fabric to cover your project, all other materials I stock and will charge for as you use them.
The techniques taught include:
- Traditional or Modern Upholstery techniques – the basic skills and techniques used to upholster a piece of furniture whichever is appropriate.
- Simple Repairs – making good the frame (filling in holes, gluing joints).
- Handling Fabrics and Materials Correctly – during cutting, stitching and fixing, including such materials as webbing, hessian, animal hair/coir fibre, waddings.
- Handling Tools Correctly – including hammers, tack- lifters, ripping chisels etc.
- Health & Safety guidelines
- Your piece of furniture: you should bring only small chairs (dining chair style) or stools with a drop-in seat, or pin-stuffed or sprung seat. I can help with minor repairs to your furniture but if they are in need of major repairs it is probably better to have them mended by a professional furniture restorer before you arrive. If you have trouble finding a suitable piece of furniture, please ask for help.
- Any tools you already own (magnetic or pin hammer, pincers, pliers, tack lifter, ripping chisel) although tools will be provided for your use during the 2 days.
- Apron or overalls if you wish.
- A dust sheet or old bedcover.
- A large pair of SHARP scissors.
- Camera to record the stages of your work.
- Notebook and pencil.
- An old leather glove to protect your hand when stitching.
- Top cover upholstery fabric – if you have difficulty finding upholstery fabric, I do have an old trunk full of remnant fabric you can rummage through. Alternatively, let me know at least a week before your arrival of your choice of fabric from the suppliers with whom I have an account with so I can ensure the fabric is ordered and delivered in time.
Contact Lucy by email email@example.com or mobile 0782 8286360
A deposit equal to one day’s tuition is required to guarantee your booking. This deposit will be refunded if you cancel more than 14 days before arrival. If you cancel your booking within 14 days of your planned arrival date the deposit will not be refunded. In the event of a no show or booking reduction (after arrival date) no refund will be given. Full booking balance is due four weeks before arrival.
January 15th & 16th – 1 space available
January 29th & 30th – fully booked
February 5th & 6th – 3 spaces available
February 26th & 27th – fully booked
March 12th & 13th – fully booked
March 19th & 20th – 2 spaces available
April 2nd & 3rd – 2 spaces available
April 23rd & 24th – 4 spaces available
May 14th & 15th – 5 spaces available
May 28th & 29th – 5 spaces available
June 11th & 12th – 5 spaces available
All dates are fully booked